The 1000 Kilometres of Monza
is an endurance race
mainly for sports cars
held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza
The "Coppa Inter-Europa" was first held in 1949, on the circuit. The race expanded to 1000 kilometres in 1954, and moved to the 10-kilometre circuit in 1956. The event was shortened and returned to the 6.3-km track the next year. In 1960 and 1961, the race was a part of the FIA GT Cup
In 1963, the race was held as a three hour event for production-based cars in the World Sportscar Championship
before being expanded to a 1000-kilometer distance in 1965. Until 1969, the full Monza circuit which included the banked oval was used, although chicanes were installed in 1966 at the beginning of both bankings to slow cars down. A lap was 10.1 kilometers long, yielding a total distance of 1010 km after 100 laps. From 1970 to 2008, the shorter Grand Prix circuit (approximately 5.8 kilometers) has been used for 173 laps.
Although named the 1000 km of Monza, the race has at times been run at shorter lengths, most notably in the late 1970s and early 1990s before the demise of the World Sportscar Championship
in 1992. Every Monza endurance race had been run as part of the World Sportscar Championship, with the exception of 1979 which saw only the Italian sportscar championship running.
Since 1992, the race has been used on and off by various series, most notably the Italian GT Championship and Challenge Endurance Italia series in 1997 and 1998.... Read More