The 14th King's Hussars
was a cavalry regiment
in the British Army
, first raised in 1715. It saw service for two centuries, before being amalgamated into the 14th/20th Hussars
The regiment was raised in 1715 as a dragoon regiment
, named for its first colonel as James Dormer's Regiment of Dragoons, and ranked as the 14th Dragoons. In 1751 it was formally renamed as the 14th Regiment of Dragoons. It became a light dragoon regiment in 1776, as the 14th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, and was renamed for Princess Frederica
in 1798 as the 14th (The Duchess of York's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons.
The regiment went to join Wellington
's Army in the Iberian Peninsula
in 1808 following time spent in England. The regiment gained the battle honour Douro
in May 1809 having been spared the retreat to Corunna
in the same year; the only regiment having been spared this retreat. Hard action at the Talavera
in 1809 followed with smaller actions at Barquilla and on the Coa river
during 1810. The regiment also saw action at Fuentes d'Onoro
in 1811. The following year was a very busy one for the 14th having fought at Villagarcia
as well as covering the sieges at Badajoz
and at Ciudad Rodrigo
where Lieutenant-Colonel Talbot, along with 34 of his men, was killed.
During the Battle of Vitoria
in 1813 the regiment captured a silver chamberpot belonging to King Joseph Bonaparte
, brother of the Emperor Napoleon
, which resulted in the regimental nickname of "The Emperor's......