1985 FA Cup Final

1985 FA Cup Final

Football Match
Football Match Less

1985 FA Cup Final

to get instant updates about '1985 FA Cup Final' on your MyPage. Meet other similar minded people. Its Free!


All Updates

The 1985 FA Cup Final was contested by Manchester United and holders Everton at Wembley Stadium. United won by a single goal, scored in extra time by Norman Whiteside.

Late in the second half, Kevin Moran of Manchester United was sent off for a professional foul on Peter Reid who was clean through on goal. He became the first player to receive a red card in an FA Cup Final. Had Everton won the match they would have completed an unprecedented Treble of League, FA Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup.

All of Manchester United's players (including the substitute who played) had been capped at full international level, making them the first FA Cup winning team to consist entirely of players who had gained full international recognition.

However, United were unable to compete in the following season's Cup Winner's Cup, as all English clubs were subsequently banned from European competitions indefinitely two weeks later as a sequel to the Heysel disaster on 29 May 1985, in which rioting by Liverpool and Juventus fans at the European Cup final resulted in the death of 39 spectators.

Everton had just won the Cup Winners' Cup as well as the league title, and so would have competed in the 1985–86 European Cup had it not been for the ban.

Eight of United's starting 11 players had been members of the cup winning side from two years earlier, while Arthur Albiston was the only remaining player from the FA Cup winning side of 1977 still in the team. However, when United next won the trophy five......
Read More

No feeds found

wait Posting your question. Please wait!...


Football Match
No messages found
Tell your friends >
about this page
 Create a new Page
for companies, colleges, celebrities or anything you like.Get updates on MyPage.
Create a new Page
 Find your friends
  Find friends on MyPage from