The 38th Combat Support Wing (38 CSW)
is an inactive wing
of the United States Air Force
. Its last assignment was with Third Air Force
, being inactivated on 1 May 2007 at Ramstein Air Base
The mission of the 38 CSW was to enhance support to USAFE geographically separated units.
The Wing's origins date to 1948 as the 38th Bombardment Wing
. It's operational group, the 38th Bombardment Group
, was one of the first U.S. Army Air Forces units
to be deployed into the Pacific Theater
after Pearl Harbor
- For additional history and lineage, see 38th Bombardment Group
The unit was established as 38th Bombardment Wing, Light
on August 10, 1948 in Japan. It assisted in the air defense of Japan and participated in tactical exercises, August 1948— March 1949. It was inactivated in the Far East on April 1, 1949.
The 38th Tactical Bombardment Wing
(38th TBW) was reactivated as part of the United States Air Forces in Europe
on January 1, 1953, being assigned to Laon-Couvron Air Base
. Upon activation, the wing absorbed the assets of the Air National Guard 126th Bomb Wing, which was inactivated and returned to the control of the Illinois Air National Guard
. The 38th's squadrons were designated the 71st, 405th, and 822nd Bomb Squadrons. The wing flew the Douglas B-26 Invader
In April 1955 the 38th Bomb Wing converted to the Martin B-57 "Canberra"
. The B-57 was a replacement for aging Douglas B-26 "Invader", and with... Read More