The British Army
's 56th Infantry Brigade
was originally a Kitchener's Army
brigade within 19th Division
during the First World War.Later during the Second World War
it was reformed on 15 February 1944 in the United Kingdom
The Brigade took part in the Invasion of Normandy
, where it formed the right flank of the 50th Infantry Division
on Gold Beach
. It remained attached to the 50th Division until the 10th, after which it was attached to the 7th Armoured Division
until 12 June, reverting then to 50th(Northumbrian) Infantry Division. It came under command of the 59th Infantry Division
in early August 1944. It was eventually permanently attached to the 49th Infantry Division
on 20 August 1944, after the 70th Infantry Brigade
was detached, and eventually disbanded.56 Brigade took part in the Normandy landings, liberated Bayeux on 7 June leaving the town mainly intact. All its battalions were involved in the taking of Tilly-sur-Seulles with 2 Essex finally investing the town. Later actions were north of St Germain d'Ectot and the liberation of Thury-Harcourt in the Suisse Normande. It was prominent in the drive towards Le Havre and was one of the assault divisions taking the city in September 1944. Continuing to fight in Belgium at Popple and then Holland it was the assault brigade for the final assault on Arnhem in April 1945. The 56th served well, and ended the war in Germany.
The Brigade was reformed in January 1987 within London District
and comprised mostly Guards Public......