The 5th Cavalry Regiment
") is a historical unit of the United States Army
that began its service in the decade prior to the American Civil War
and continues in modified organizational format in the U.S. Army.
The regiment's history began in 1855, organizing on 28 May 1855 as the 2nd United States Cavalry Regiment at Louisville, Kentucky
. A few months later, on 27 September 1855, under the command of Col. Albert Sidney Johnston
, the regiment marched west to Texas
to fight in its first Indian Campaign. Later on, Lt. Col. Robert E. Lee
succeeded Colonel Johnston as the commander. The regiment fought in a total of thirteen Indian Campaigns, symbolized by the arrow head shaped regimental crest.
Other officers of the regiment who became prominent in the American Civil War
besides Johnson and Lee were Majors William J. Hardee
and George H. Thomas
; Captains Earl Van Dorn
, George Stoneman
, and Edmund Kirby Smith
; and Lieutenants John Bell Hood
and Fitzhugh Lee
Early in 1861, the regiment went to Carlisle Barracks
, where the officers and men loyal to the South
left the regiment to serve in the Confederacy
. Lieutenant Colonel Lee was replaced by Lt. Col. George Henry Thomas
. In the summer of 1861, the regiment was re-designated as the 5th United States Cavalry; the numerical designation it holds to this day. During the Civil War, the troopers of the 5th Cavalry made a gallant charge at Gaines'......