5th Regiment Royal Artillery
is a regiment
of the Royal Artillery
in the British Army
. It currently serves in the Surveillance and Target Acquisition
role equipped with various weapon locating equipment using radars and acoustic sound ranging, it also provides Special Observation Post teams.
The regiment was formed as 5th Regiment Royal Horse Artillery in 1939 and consisted of K Battery and G Battery (Mercers Troop) RHA. K Battery was the current Riding Troop at St Johns Wood. In 1940 the regiment formed part of the British Expeditionary Force
to France and after Dunkirk
moved to North Africa, where it joined 7th Armoured Division
Along with 7th Armoured Division the regiment fought throughout the Western Desert
and for a limited period took part in the Italian Campaign
. On return to the UK in early 1944 it then took part in the Normandy landings
and fought in Northwest Europe
to VE Day
. In 1946, CC Battery became C Battery.
Because of the reorganisation of the Royal Horse Artillery in 1958, the regiment became 5th Field Regiment RA. On 1 February 1958, C Battery moved to 3rd RHA and G Battery (Mercer's Troop) moved to 4th RHA. P Battery (The Dragon Troop) left 4th RHA and Q (Sanna's Post) Battery moved from 10th Field Regiment on the 5th February 1958 to join K Battery and form the regiment. After a short period near Crickhowell, the regiment left there in September 1958 for a 3-year tour of Hong Kong. After an enjoyable tour equipped with 25lb... Read More