The unit was created on 28 February 1951, in Hanoi as the "8th Colonial Parachute Battalion," as a part of the French union forces.
The 8th Colonial Parachute Battalion fought at Lai-Chau, Hoa Binh, Langson and Dien Bien Phu. The Battalion was mentioned in dispatches four times for valor. It was dissolved on 19 May 1954, after Dien Bien Phu.
The unit was recreated as the "8th Colonial Parachute Regiment" on 1 May 1956. The regiment parcipated in operations against the Algerian National Liberation Front , most notably at El Kiffene, Ain El Kesseub and Tarf.
Relocation to Metropolitan France
The regiment relocated to the town of Nancy, Metropolitan France, in 1961, to form a part of the 11th Light Division. The regimental headquarters moved to Castres in 1963.
The regiment took part in the intervention in Chad between 1969 and 1972.
The regiment is currently serving with the NATO ISAF in Afghanistan. In a fierce battle on 18–19 August 2008, ten French soldiers were killed and 21 wounded making it the largest loss of French troops in battle in many years.