The A. Murray MacKay Bridge
locally known as "the new bridge" is the second suspension bridge
linking the Halifax Peninsula
, Nova Scotia
, and opened on July 10, 1970.
The A. Murray MacKay Bridge measures with the total of all suspended spans being in length, carrying four traffic lanes with posted speed limits of . Pedestrians
are not permitted on the A. Murray MacKay Bridge; they may use dedicated lanes on the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge
As of April 1, 2011, the toll charge to cross for regular passenger vehicles is $1.00 cash or $0.70 with the MACPASS electronic toll system (60¢ tokens were once used but are no longer accepted as of May 1, 2008). Larger vehicles have higher tolls proportional to the number of axles. The Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission is exploring the idea of moving entirely to electronic tolls to avoid handling tokens or cash. The A. Murray MacKay Bridge is the only harbour bridge which permits semi-trailers and large trucks.
The bridge is named after Alexander Murray MacKay, chairman of the Halifax-Dartmouth Bridge Commission
from 1951 to 1971 and past chief executive officer of MT&T
. MacKay was instrumental in having both the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge
and his namesake structure built during his tenure at the commission.
A major political controversy preceded construction of the MacKay Bridge when the city of Halifax expropriated residents from the community of Africville
... Read More