Abbey House, Barrow-in-Furness in the modern county of Cumbria, formerly in Lancashire (England), is a Neo-Elizabethan H-plan mansion built by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1913-14 as a guest house for Vickers Ltd and a flat for the Managing Director, Sir James McKechnie. In its abstracted, military echo of the Tudor style, it prefigures the style of Lutyens' Castle Drogo. In 1951, having been acquired by the County Council, Abbey House was made into an old people’s home, and consequently suffered considerable neglect. In 1984 it was sold by the Council and restored as an hotel. Abbey House has been a Grade II* Listed Building since 1949.
Abbey House Hotels website describes the hotel and its settings:
Abbey House Hotel is set in of private woodland and gardens. The building has recently seen an extension added with extra rooms, a bar, and a conference rooms (including the Duddon Suite, Great Abbey Hall and the Furness Room), that host weddings and other special events. The hotel has 57 rooms, with prices ranging from £70 to £201 per night. The main building includes a large restaurant and another bar.
C. Aslet, The last country houses, 1982, pp. 34, 310
Country Life, 1921, vol. xlix, p. 398
G. Stamp, Edwin Lutyens' country houses, 2001, pp. 32, 150-155