Abbotsford was first known by its Aboriginal name Bigi Bigi.
The suburb was originally part of Five Dock Farm and when subdivided in 1837, was called Feltham. Sir Arthur Renwick, a doctor, philanthropist and politician built his home here in 1890 and called it Abbotsford House in honour of Sir Walter Scott's home. Renwick sold his property in 1903 to Albert Grace,and in 1918 it became the site of a Nestlé chocolate factory, with the house used initially for chocolate production and later as their administrative offices. Australian poet Henry Lawson did not die in Abbotsford House in 1922, but at the home of Mrs Isabella Bryers at 437 Great North Road, recently... Read More