The Aberystwith and Welsh Coast Railway
was a standard gauge
railway built in 1863 connecting major towns on the Welsh
Authorised in 1861, the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway
was intended to run between the Cardigan Bay towns of Aberystwyth
on the Lleyn Peninsula
. The plan also included a link with the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway
by means of a line from Machynlleth to Ynyslas
on the southern shore of the Dyfi estuary opposite Aberdyfi
, the Dyfi itself to be bridged at this point.
Work began at Machynlleth, and the line was opened through to Aberystwyth in 1864. However, the planned Dyfi bridge at Ynyslas proved impracticable, requiring the divergence between the Aberystwyth and Coast lines to be moved 6 miles east to Dyfi Junction. This added 12 miles to the journey north from Aberystwyth, but the twisting line – just a few feet above high tide level - between Dyfi Junction and Aberdyfi remains one of the most scenic sections of railway in Britain.
Also abandoned at an early date was the idea of crossing the Lleyn
Peninsula in the north, and the last 5 miles beyond Pwllheli
were never built.
For a time before completion, southbound passengers detrained at Aberdyfi and were carried over to Ynyslas by ferry, for which a short temporary branch was built for use at low tide.
Major works on the line included the bridge south of Barmouth
and the cliff top line at Friog
. This latter location was the site of two almost... Read More