The University's first hall of residence, St. John's Hall, was built by the Church Missionary Society in late 1912. It has been a tradition of the hall to hold High Table Dinner every week since its introduction in 1916. This custom was subsequently taken up by other halls. St. John's Hall housed male students until the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. The original site is now occupied by St. Paul's College. A post-War inspection on August 31, 1945 found the hall totally ruined with only four of its walls remaining. Combined with St. Stephen's Hall, the new St. John's College was built in 1955 in 82 Pokfulam Road to replace the former hall.
The old halls
The first residential hall under the University's direct management was Lugard Hall which opened in 1913 and was originally named University Hall (not to be confused with the later University Hall purchased in 1956). It was followed by Elliot Hall and May Hall which opened in 1914 and 1915 respectively. The three-storey red-brick Edwardian-style buildings on terraces were linked by corridors and stairs. They were designed by the Architect Messrs Denison, Ram and Gibbs.
When the Japanese invaded Hong Kong at the end of 1941, these buildings became part of a temporary relief hospital set up to provide additional support to Queen Mary Hospital.
Torrential rain in 1966 necessitated repairs to......