is a historic lodge near Lake Placid
in the Adirondack Mountains
of New York State
. The Loj, built in 1927, is currently owned and operated by the Adirondack Mountain Club
. Located on the shore of Heart Lake
, it is at the trailhead of the most popular trails to Mount Marcy
and Algonquin Peak
, the two highest peaks in the Adirondacks (and the state as well). Accommodations are in the form of private rooms and bunkrooms, and meals are available as well. There are also campsites at the Loj, as well as Lean-to's and very large canvas tents.
The original Adirondack Loj was designed by Henry Van Hoevenberg
for whom Mount Van Hoevenberg
is named; it opened in 1890, but was consumed in a catastrophic fire that swept Essex County
in 1903. It was replaced by the present structure, designed by Saranac Lake
architect William G. Distin
, in 1927.
The spelling of the building's name was decided by a previous owner, Melvil Dewey
, founder of the Lake Placid Club
, who was an advocate of spelling reform
.Steinberg, Michael. Our wilderness : how the people of New York found, changed, and preserved the Adirondacks
. Lake George, NY : Adirondack Mountain Club, 1991.