() is a small town and municipality
in the Vogtlandkreis
to the south-west of the Free State of Saxony
. Adorf can be translated as "A-village", the "A" coming from old German word for water ("Ahha"
). Gettengrün, a village within the municipality, borders on the Czech Republic
Adorf was founded around 1200. In 1293 it gained the status of a "town". The town walls were commenced in 1477. Industries developed because of it favorable position and transport links: crafts, spinning
working with mother-of-pearl
and musical instrument making. The Johanniskirche was constructed in 1498.<!-- Check for later additions--> The town was destroyed by fire in 1768. The Freiberger Tor, the last remaining town gate
, was rebuilt between 1768 and 1773 with a wooden framed upper storey. The current Rathaus
was built in 1896- a period when many substantial houses were added to the streets round the market place.
Adorf is located in the Elstergebirge
, a low mountain range, part of the Erzgebirge
. The lowest point in the Adorf district being in Rebersreuth (415 m) and the highest point being the "Hoher Stein" ("high stone") near Gettengrün (632.9 m). This "Hoher Stein" is not the same as the Czech Vysoký......