The AEC railmotor was the Victorian Railways of Australia's first successful railmotor. They were introduced in 1922 and until 1925 a total of 19 AECs were built.
They came in 3 different forms; seating for 37 passengers in Second Class only, seating for 32 First Class passengers, Seating for 10 First Class passengers and 22 in Second Class and Seating for 11 First Class passengers and 21 in Second Class. They also had special designed trailers built to increase capacity. The AEC's were withdrawn throughout the 1950s as the new Walker railmotors came into service.
On the Outer Circle line a pair of AEC railmotors coupled back to back operated the Deepdene Dasher service from Riversdale to Deepdene from 15 August 1926 until 10 October 1927 when the service was replaced by buses.
On the Upfield line an AEC railmotor operated a shuttle service between Fawkner and Somerton (on the site of today's Roxburgh Park station) from the reopening of the section in 1928, until 1956 when the line north from Fawkner was closed.