The Agartala Municipal Council
is the municipal body which governs and maintains the city of Agartala
The Capital Agartala
(new) was founded in 1838 AD by Maharaja Krishna Kishore Manikya (1830-49 AD).
The Agartala Municipality was instituted in 1871 AD during the reign of Maharaja Chandra Manikya (1862-96 AD). The first British Political Agent appointed for Tipprah in 1871 AD, Mr. A.W.B. Power, was offered the honour of being the Chairman of the Agartala Municipality. The municipality is located at the crossing of Latitude N 23 –50` and Longitude E 91-17`, covering 3 km² during that period.
The Municipal Council consists of councillors elected by the residents of the city. The city is divided into municipal wards and each ward elects a councillor to the Council.
The current majority of AMC belongs to the Left Front
The municipal area was 16.012 km² with a population of 1,89,329 as of the 2001 census.The Urban Development Department Notification No.F.2(2)–UDD /2003 dated July 2, 2004 the Agartala Municipal Council has further been extended taking 16 No. of Grams of Dukli R.D.Block, 7 No. of Grams of Mohanpur R.D. Block and 2 No. of Grams of Jirania
R.D. Block with an area of 42.83 square kilometers and a population of 178,495.