Al Lopez Field
was a spring training
and Minor League baseball park
in Tampa, Florida
, United States. It was named for Tampa native and Baseball Hall of Famer Al Lopez
It was located east of Dale Mabry Highway
) and north of Tampa Bay Boulevard. It was dedicated to Lopez in 1954 and opened for spring training
in March 1955. Its first tenants were the Chicago White Sox
, who were managed by Lopez at the time. The White Sox moved to a different site in 1960 and were replaced by the Cincinnati Reds
, who would use the park for three decades.
The grandstand featured a high, curved roof with no obstructing columns, a design similar to but a little less dramatic than that of Miami Stadium
. In 1967, Tampa Stadium
was built just beyond the left field wall.
After the spring session of 1987
, the Reds abandoned the park for newer facilities in Plant City, Florida
. While the Tampa Tarpons reached an affiliation agreement with the Chicago White Sox
for the 1988 season, revenue from leasing the ballpark to the Tarpons did not cover expenses and the Tampa Sports Authority would not agree to a lease longer than one-year. This would also allow the TSA to move forward on redevelopment plans for the location. Demolition on the ballpark began in March 1989 and was completed that May.
The land was used for Tampa Stadium... Read More