() is a municipality in Portugal
located on the eastern frontier with Spain
along the Guadiana River
in the Central Alentejo region
. In 2001 its population was over 6000 inhabitants, within an area of approximately 542 km².
Alandroal was elevated to town in 1486, by foral
attributed to King John II of Portugal, but only includes the parish of Nossa Senhora da Conceição
During the 19th Century territories of the older municipalities of Terena and Juromenha where annexed to Alandroal. The community of Villarreal, situated in the municipality of Olivenza (Spain) was once apart of the antique administration of Juromenha.
The municipality is delimited in the north by Vila Viçosa
, east by the Guadiana River
and Spanish border, south by Mourão
and Reguengos de Monsaraz
, and west by the municipality of Redondo
. Alandroal is one of three towns defined within the municipality of the same name, and includes the vilas
of Terena and Juromenha.
The municipality is located in the district of Évora
, is an administrative unit comprising six individual parishes, with their own local government structures:
- Alandroal (Nossa Senhora da Conceição)
- Capelins (Santo António)
- Juromenha (Nossa Senhora do Loreto)
- Santiago Maior
- São Brás dos Matos (Mina do Bugalho)
- Terena (São Pedro)
AlandroalAlandroal Read More