is a scenic park
in central Auckland
, bounded by Wellesley Street East, Princes Street, Bowen Avenue and Kitchener Street. From the entrance at the corner of Bowen Ave and Kitchener St, sealed footpaths climb steeply through native trees to the large flat area at the summit, where flower gardens
encircle a fountain
To the north of the cast iron fountain (1881) is the bronze statue of Queen Victoria
(1897); to the south is a bandstand (James Slator 1901). A large floral clock
, constructed in 1953 with funds donated by Robert Laidlaw
, founder of the Farmers
department store chain, lies near the Princes Street exit in front of the University of Auckland
clock tower pictured here.
There are other artworks and memorials in the park, including the marble Boer War
memorial and a statue of Sir George Grey
(1904), relocated to this spot from its first location outside the Auckland Town Hall
. Many of these memorials and artworks can be seen in the numerous images of Albert Park printed as postcards since the early 20th century.
Albert Park occupies much of the site of the Albert Barracks, one of Auckland's early European military fortification
, which in turn was built on the previous site of Te Horotiu pa
. The barracks were converted into a public park in the 1880s, which originally had commanding views over the city and harbour. The view would now be of modern office......