The ALCO boxcab
s were diesel-electric switcher locomotives
, otherwise known as AGEIR boxcabs
as a contraction of the names of the builders. Produced by a partnership of three companies, ALCO
(American Locomotive Company) built the chassis and running gear, General Electric
the generator, motors and controls, and Ingersoll Rand
the diesel engine. The principle of operation was the same as modern locomotives, the diesel engine driving a main generator of 600 volts DC with four traction motors
, one per axle.
Two models were the 60-Ton with a six-cylinder four-stroke in-line engine of 300 hp
and the 100-Ton with two of the same engines. Thirty-three<!-- Includes 60 ton and 100 ton --> units were produced between 1925 and 1928. These were the first commercially successful production diesel-electric locomotives.
ALCO dropped out of the arrangement in 1928, acquired their own diesel engine manufacturer in McIntosh & Seymour and went on to start its own line of diesel switchers. The first ALCO boxcab switcher was outshopped in January 1931 and after a brief demonstration tour was sold to Jay Street Connecting. The ALCO Boxcab and two end cab switchers built in early 1931 used the McIntosh & Seymour 330 engine. This early development of end cab switchers led ALCO to build the HH series
based on the McIntosh & Seymour 531 engine and using GE electrical components by mid 1931.
The six surviving examples of these earliest boxcabs can be found at the......