is a Russian Orthodox monastery
situated deep in the woods of the Leningrad Oblast
, just south from its border with the Republic of Karelia
. The golden age of this cloister was in the 17th century.
It was founded in 1487, when a monk
of the Valaam Monastery
, named Alexander
, settled between Roschinsky and Holy lakes, 20 km to the east from Lake Ladoga
and 6 km from the Svir River
. During his life in the woods, he had a vision of the Holy Trinity
who ordered him to build two oaken chapels dedicated to the Trinity
and the Saviour
. These churches gave birth to the twin Trinity and the Transfiguration cloisters, collectively known as the Alexander Svirsky Monastery.
The monastery's founder, Alexander Svirsky
, died on August 30, 1533 and was buried at the Transfiguration cloister, which still serves as a burial place for the local monks. 12 years later, his disciples recounted his life in a biography. The church synod of 1547 canonized Alexander Svirsky, and the new saint became venerated throughout Russian lands. One of the chapels of the famous Saint Basil's Cathedral
on Red Square
, for instance, was consecrated to him.
The Russian tsars bestowed many important privileges on Alexander's cloister, including the right to appropriate taxes from the Svirsky Fair, which was held annually under the cloister walls. During the Time of Troubles
, the Swedes sacked and burnt both hermitages on three occasions, and yet the monastery continued to... Read More