Alexandra Palace railway station
(originally named Wood Green
and later Wood Green (Alexandra Park)
) is in the London Borough of Haringey
in north London
, and is in Travelcard Zone 3
. The station, and all trains serving it, are operated by First Capital Connect
. Oyster card
readers were installed at the station during 2008 and activated on 2 January 2010 for use with the Oyster Pay As You Go System.
It is the only surviving station of three that have served Alexandra Palace
. Alexandra Palace
, sited actually at the palace, was on the Highgate - Alexandra Palace line, and Palace Gates
was on the Palace Gates Line
In Autumn 2008, a new SHERE self-service ticket machine
, accepting both cash and credit cards, was installed here (and similarly at other local FCC stations).
Just outside the station to the north is Bounds Green Depot
, used for storage and maintenance of the high speed trains used on the East Coast Main Line
. A line adjacent to the station platforms is used by shunters
moving carriages and engines around in the depot.
The station was opened by the Great Northern Railway
(GNR) on 1 May 1859 as Wood Green
, being renamed to Wood Green (Alexandra Park)
in <!-- Butt gives both 1 June and 1 August --> 1864. The GNR became part of the London and North Eastern Railway
during the Grouping
of 1923. The line then passed on to the Eastern Region of British Railways
in 1948. The station reverted to its original name of......