The construction of the Alford Valley Railway started in 1856 and the line opened in 1859 as a Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR) branch line from Kintore railway station, northwest of Aberdeen, with stations at Kemnay, Monymusk, Tillyfourie, Whitehouse and Alford. The line also served Kemnay Quarry and three other granite quarries in the area. The summit of the line is just west of Tillyfourie at where a mile-long cutting deep required cutting through particularly hard granite. The train took just over an hour for the 16 mile journey and until 1883 by law the third class fare on one train a day could not be more that a penny per mile.
The narrow gauge railway was proposed in 1979 and opened in 1980. Built from salvaged equipment from the New Pitsligo peat moss railway, it runs from the station building at Alford alongside the Alford Golf course, to Haughton Country Park about... Read More