Allegany College of Maryland
(or ACM) is a two-year public community college located in Cumberland
. It was previously known as Allegany Community College (or ACC).
Allegany College of Maryland began operations in 1961 as "Allegany Community College" in an old public school facility (the segregationist era all-black Carver Community School) that had been closed by the Allegany County Board of Education. The College opened with an enrollment of 122 students from Allegany County. In 1969, the College moved to a new campus consisting of seven buildings on a 330 acre (1.3 km²) tract in suburban Cumberland that was partially funded by the Appalachian Regional Commission
. Enrollment reached the 1000 mark in credit programs during the first year on the new campus and community service and continuing education courses and programs began. Since that time, six additional buildings have been added to the Cumberland Campus and two of the original six have been expanded to handle the increased in the number of programs and students.
The College opened two Pennsylvania campuses in 1989 (Somerset County Campus in Somerset, Pennsylvania) and 1990 (Bedford County Campus in Everett, Pennsylvania). It expanded its Hospitality Management and Culinary Arts programs into the Gateway Center located in downtown Cumberland in 2002.
The College now serves over 4,000 credit students and over 12,000 non-credit students. Over 1,200 of these credit students are... Read More