Allied Air Forces Central Europe (AAFCE)
was the headquarters for NATO
air forces in Central Europe from 1951 to 1967 and from 1974 to 1993.
It was first based at Fontainebleau
(France), and originally activated in April 1951. It reported to Allied Forces Central Europe (AFCENT), which in turn reported to Allied Command Europe, headquartered at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe
in Belgium. The post of Commander was replaced by Deputy C in C, HQ Allied Forces Central Europe on 1 Mar 1967.
The Headquarters was re-established on June 28, 1974 at Ramstein Air Base
as a principal subordinate command under Allied Forces Central Europe (AFCENT).NATO
, , accessed March 2008 Ramstein Air Base
is located in the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz
. Its task was to provide central direction and control for the NATO air forces in the European Central Region through the co-ordination of the two existing headquarters, Second Allied Tactical Air Force (2ATAF), based at Rheindahlen
, which covered the northern part of the region, and Fourth Allied Tactical Air Force (4ATAF), based at Heidelberg
, which was responsible for the southern area.
The command was held first by US Air Force General Lauris Norstad and subsequently by five senior Royal Air Force