The Commission took its seat on the Petersberg near Bonn and started its work on September 21, 1949. It ceased to function under the terms of the Bonn–Paris conventions,on May 5, 1955.
The Occupation Statute specified the prerogatives of the Western allies vis-à-vis the German government, and preserved the right to intervene in areas of military, economic, and foreign policy importance. These rights were revised in the Petersberg Agreement several weeks later.
With the creation of the Federal Republic and the institution of the High Commission, the position of the Military Governors was abolished. Instead each of the three Western allies named a High Commissioner.