is an almost entirely modern village situated alongside the sides of the A20 road
west of Maidstone
. It is part of the built-up area of Maidstone. It has 2 primary schools; Allington Primary and Palace Wood. In the centre of Allington is the Mid Kent Shopping Centre.
The name Allington, which is shared by a hamlet
, is derived from the Old English tun
farmstead; it comes via eleventh-century Elentun
and was connected with a man called Ælla.Allington Castle
was originally built in the 11th century. In 1281 the present stone castle was built, which was converted to a mansion in the 15th century. In 1492 the castle came into the possession of the Wyatt family
By the mid-19th century it was derelict, but was restored in 1905; in 1951 it was taken over by the Carmelite order
. Today it is owned by Sir Robert Worcester
as a private residence and is not open to the public.
The few dwellings around the castle had a population of 49 in 1841. There was a church dedicated to St Laurence which closed in 1969. In the modern village is a modern parish church dedicated to St Nicholas, the second to be built on the site. Furnishings from St Laurence's are used here.
Down the hill from St Laurence's Church is the River Medway
, Allington Lock and Allington Sluice. There is a footpath over the lock. Below the lock, the Medway becomes tidal. On the other bank is the Malta Inn, and Kent Life
. A footpath runs from here to Teston
. A Park and Sail
service (claimed to be... Read More