Alonzo S. Church
(April 9, 1793 – May 18, 1862) was the sixth president of the University of Georgia
(UGA) in Athens
. He served in that capacity from 1829 until his resignation in 1859.
Church was born on April 9, 1793 in Brattleboro
and died on May 18, 1862 in Athens. He was a 1816 graduate of Middlebury College
. He initially joined the UGA faculty as a Professor of Mathematics and served in that capacity for ten years before assuming the presidency.
Although Church served longer than any president of the University, there were numerous clashes with student and faculty during his tenure which resulted in declines in enrollment and faculty upheaval.
During Church's tenure, the following campus buildings were erected: Classroom/Library (Southern half of current Academic Building, 1831), the Chapel (1832), Phi Kappa Hall (1836), Lumpkin House (Rock House, 1844), Lustrat House (1847), Garden Club House (1857) and The Arch (1858) (funded through sale of the University Botanical Garden for $1,000).
President Church's son, Alonzo Webster Church, was Librarian of the United States Senate
. President Church's great-grandson, Alonzo Church
, was also a renowned Professor of Mathematics; he taught at both Princeton University
(his alma mater
) and UCLA
. President Church's daughter, Julia, married George Alexander Croom, owner of Casa de Laga Plantation in Tallahassee, Florida and brother of Hardy Bryan Croom, a planter and recognized naturalist, who discovered the rare... Read More