- Not to be confused with the village of Alvington, Somerset
is a village
and civil parish
in the Forest of Dean
, situated on the A48 road
, six miles north-east of Chepstow
. The parish has a total population of 484.
History of Alvington
Alvington, was one of a number of hamlets
dotted along the River Severn
, following the former Roman road
leading from Newnham on Severn
to Chepstow. The manor of Alvington is recorded in the Domesday Book
of 1086 under the name ‘Alwintune’, then part of the Herefordshire hundred of Bromsash, held by Turstin FitzRolf
. During the 12th century, Alvington joined Gloucestershire as part of the Bledisloe hundred
, and became a separate parish. During the late Middle Ages
Alvington parish and manor
were under the ownership of Llanthony Priory
) which was dissolved in 1539. The lord of the manor’s seat was situated in Clanna Falls around one mile from the village. In its history Alvington, has variously boasted two smithies, a small brewery, a small engineering works and several shops.
Society and amenities
Alvington’s population had varied somewhere between 300 and 500 since the mid 19th century. During the 1960s the development of a council......