is the central administration building for Kansas State University
in the city of Manhattan
, United States
. It was originally called the Practical Agriculture Building
when the north wing was completed in 1879. It was renamed "Anderson Hall" in 1902 in honor of John Alexander Anderson
, the second president of Kansas State Agricultural College
(now Kansas State University).
Over time, this building has housed a diverse set of facilities, including a canteen
, a barbershop
, and a chapel
. An electronic carillon
was installed in 1965 to sound the hours.
The building was constructed in three phases starting with the north wing, followed by the central section, and finished with the south wing. The construction was first financed by the state in 1877 with construction starting in 1878. The final wing was finished in 1884. The building's purpose has changed much over the years and it has been altered many times in its history.
The construction of Anderson Hall began in 1877 with an appropriation of $12,500 by the Kansas legislature for its north wing. Excavation begin in March 1878 and the building was initially occupied a year later in 1879. The building initially housed classrooms for English
, and practical agriculture
. It also housed the president's office, and the library from 1879 until 1894.
In 1880, the Kansas legislature made a new appropriation of $30,000 to build the central structure including... Read More