The Arbroath and Forfar Railway
was a railway
that ran from the North East coast of Scotland at Arbroath
inland (north) to Guthrie
on the Aberdeen Railway
and then west to Forfar
where is connected with the Scottish Midland Junction Railway
. It was incorporated on 19 May 1836.
The Arbroath and Forfar Railway opened initially as a single track on 3 January 1839. In common with the Dundee and Arbroath Railway
, it had a gauge of . This was a compromise, by the engineer Thomas Grainger
, between the Broad gauge
of the GWR
and the Scotch gauge
in use at that time. Apart from the terminal stations, there were six intermediate stops though, at the start, they were not provided with buildings.
The line proceeded roughly north west to Frockheim
then curved westwards through Lunan Head
where it turned southwestwards to Forfar, covering a distance of some fifteen miles. There were few sharp curves and the maximum gradient was 1 in 130 (0.85%) and there were five long substantially level stretches. In general very little in the way of earthworks was necessary except where the line crossed Rostennet Moss.
The line was extremely successful from the start, carrying around 500 passengers and 120 tons of freight a week, well in excess of expectations. The fares were set unusually low, such that ordinary workers, such as reapers, found it cheaper than walking, since the time saved could be applied to earning money.
At the beginning there were three locomotives, Victoria, Britannia and... Read More