The Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
(1928), opened as the Portland Publix Theater
before becoming the Paramount
after 1930, is a historic theater building and performing arts center
in Portland, Oregon
, United States
. Part of the Portland Center for the Performing Arts
, it is home to the Oregon Symphony
, Portland Youth Philharmonic
, Metropolitan Youth Symphony, White Bird Dance Company, and Portland Arts & Lectures. It is also a concert and film venue. Originally (and sometimes still referred to as) the Paramount Theatre
, it is also locally nicknamed "The Schnitz"
It is the last surviving theater building on Broadway
, which was once lined with large theater houses.
- Seating for 2,776 (includes lower orchestra level and upper balcony seats)
- Dressing rooms for 90
- Portable acoustic shell
- Entries on Broadway, Main Street and Park Avenue.
The architectural firm Rapp and Rapp
, famous for its theater buildings, designed the Italian Renaissance-style building. The building was variously described by the newspapers as being of the French Renaissance or Northern Italianate style. The Paramount was considered, at its opening, to be the largest and most lavish theater for a city the size of Portland. Originally opened as the Portland Publix
Theatre, a vaudeville
venue in March 1928,Erickson, Steve (Sep. 5, 1984). "Arts center... Read More