Between June 1947 and October 31, 1949 the Jewish agency
(later to become the Israeli
government) seeking weapons for Operation Balak
, made several purchases of weapons in Czechoslovakia
, some of them of former German army weapons, captured by the Czechoslovak army on its national territory, or newly produced German weapons from Czechoslovakia's post-war production.In this deal, sale activities of Czechoslovak arms factories were coordinated by a special-purpose department of the Československé závody strojírenské a kovodělné, n.p.
(Czechoslovak Metal-Working and Engineering Works, Nat.Ent.) Holding, called Sekretariát D
(Secretariat D), headed by Ret.Gen. Jan Heřman.
One of the first large contracts was signed on January 14, 1948, and included 200 MG 34
machine guns, 4,500 P 18 rifle
and 50,400,000 rounds of ammunition. The deliveries from Czechoslovakia proved important for the establishment of Israel.
(confirmed until October 1948)
Other infantry weapons