The Karelian Army
() was a Finnish army
during the Continuation War
Army of Karelia was formed on 29 June 1941 soon after the start of the Continuation War
The army was organised in two corps and one separate group.
The corps consisted of a total of 5 infantry divisions. The Cavalry Brigade
and the 1st
Jäger Brigades were organised into Group O. Also, the German 163rd Infantry Division
was later added to the army.
On July 10 the Army started its offensive against East Karelia
, north of Lake Ladoga
. The aim was to reclaim the areas lost to the Soviet Union in the Winter War
, but also to advance deeper into Soviet territory to gain a more easily defensible front.
On the north flank the army was supported by the independent 14th Division
and to the south by forces on the Karelian Isthmus
The army's advance was rapid due to the use of light jäger
troops. The capital of Karelia Petrozavodsk
was taken in October and promptly renamed to the poetic Äänislinna
. During the autumn of 1941 the army took positions along the river Svir
between lakes Ladoga and Onega
was taken in December.
After the offensive phase of the war ended, Army of Karelia was disbanded and its HQ became HQ of Aunus Group