() is an area in the south west corner of the London Borough of Enfield
It sits close to Enfield's
borders with two other boroughs: Barnet
. Arnos Grove used to be considered part of Southgate
, and then New Southgate
Today Arnos Grove is centred on the western end of Bowes Road A1110 road
, although the estate was centred on what is now Morton Crescent.
Named from an estate called Arnoldes Grove
1551, Arno's Grove
c.1865, that is 'grove or copse of the Arnold
family' (who are mentioned in local documents from the 14th century), from Old English grāf(a)
.Mills A. D. Oxford Dictionary of London Place Names
(2001) p7 ISBN 0198609574 Retrieved 24 October 2008
Arnos Grove was recorded as Arnold(e)s Grove
and it seems that the name should be associated with the 14th century family of Margery Arnold who lived in the area. The Grove itself runs to the north of the nearby Arnos Park.
Until the 1930s Arnos Grove was largely undeveloped and rural, and not considered to be an area in its own right. Instead, it was considered to be part of Southgate
, although in the late 19th century the area of Colney Hatch
(which later became known as New Southgate
) started nearby.
Arnos Grove was, until the dissolution of the monasteries
by Henry VIII
, owned by the Nuns
. It was known as Armholt Wood in the 14th... Read More