; Arslan Lion, Taş Stone), ancient Hadātu
, is an archaeological site in northern Syria
,in Aleppo Governorate
, around 30km east of the Euphrates River
and nearby the town of Ain al-Arab.
The city was the center of an Aramean Iron Age
kingdom, which was conquered by Assyria
in the 9th century BC. The site includes a Late Assyrian palace, an early shrine to Ishtar
and a Hellenistic
temple, surrounded by city walls and gates adorned with lions carved from stone.
The site of Arslan Tash was first examined in 1836 by an expeditionled by Francis Rawdon Chesney
.The first actual excavations were conducted by the French archaeologist François Thureau-Dangin for the Louvre Museum
in two short seasons during 1928.
In 2007 and 2008 work at the site resumed when surveys were conducted by a team from University of Bologna
and Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums
of the Syrian Arab Republic. The team was led by Anas al-Khabour and Serena Maria Cecchini. Each season lasted about a... Read More