right|300px|thumb|Asahi Ward Office
is one of the 18 wards
of the city of Yokohama
in Kanagawa Prefecture
. As of 2010, the ward had an estimated population
of 249,045 and a density
of 7,600 persons per km². The total area was 32.77 km².
Asahi is located in eastern Kanagawa Prefecture, and on the northwest borders of the city of Yokohama.
The area around present-day Asahi Ward was formerly part of Tsuzuki District in Musashi Province
. By the Heian period
it was part of a huge shōen
administered by the Hangaya clan, a subsidiary of the Hatakeyama clan
. During the Edo period
, it was a rural region classified as tenryō
territory controlled directly by the Tokugawa shogunate
, but administered through various hatamoto
. After the Meiji Restoration
, the area became part of the new Kanagawa Prefecture
in 1868. In the cadastral reform of April 1, 1889, the area was divided into numerous villages. During the Meiji period
, the area was a center for sericulture
. The area began to urbanize only during the 1920s and 1930s with the building of the Sagami Railway Main Line
. On October 1, 1927 it was annexed by the neighboring city of Yokohama, becoming part of Hodogaya Ward. In a major administrative reorganization of October 1, 1969, Asahi Ward was separated from Hodogaya Ward, becoming an independent ward within the city of Yokohama.
Asahi... Read More