is the central railway station
The station was built in 1854 by the Ludwigs-West-Bahn
. It remained largely unchanged until destroyed in a 1944 air raid, after which it was rebuilt in the style typical for the 1950s. In 1974, passenger service ended on the "Bachgaubahn" railway line between Aschaffenburg and Höchst (Odenwald), including service to nearby Großostheim
. The route was replaced by bus service. In 1982, a train accident resulted in 76 injuries, but no fatalities. From 2004 to 2005, two platforms (tracks 5/6 & 7/8) were renovated and modernized to accommodate longer InterCityExpress
trains. The underground passageway to the platforms was also renovated during this period. The remaining platform (tracks 3/4) was renovated soon after.
In 2008, a new regional bus terminal opened, adjacent to the station. The Regionale Omnibusbahnhof Aschaffenburg (ROB)
was built to consolidate all of the scattered bus stops in the area around the main railway station into one central location and reduce traffic congestion in the area. In 2008, construction of a new station building began. In January 2011, Aschaffenburg's 3rd hauptbahnhof to be built on the site officially opened. It's substantially larger than the previous structure and features a parking garage with a capacity of approximately 400 vehicles. It also features office space and increased retail space. Additionally, the underground passageway to the platforms was extended north... Read More