Part of the school land area was once used by the Australian Army. The land (gym and sheds) have since been acquired by the school and the site rebuilt.
The Drill Hall was built in the 1800s and was home to the local citizen militia and other volunteer military units. In 1913 the land was acquired by the Department of Defence as the Ashfield Corps continued to grow. In 1915 it was the second to last stop for Gilgandra Rifle Club on their Cooee March before 240 men were sent to war. In 1939 the Army sheds were built to house armoured vehicles (25 in total). The last company to be stationed at the depot were the 3 Company Royal Australian Army Service Corps Infantry Division, leaving in the 1960s.
The second stage of a three part renovation was completed as of January 2007 which encompassed a new drama and music room, renovated woodwork and metalwork rooms as well as the addition of a new food technology kitchen. The first stage of the process comprised the new gym, oval and canteen block completed in 2003. The effect of the drought on the oval was devastating in 2006 but after being aerated, it now is at full capacity.