is an area in the north of Bristol
. It lies on high ground east of Bishopston
, north of St Andrews and St Werburghs
, west of Muller Road and south of Horfield
. The main artery is Ashley Down Road. It is in the Ashley ward
of Bristol City Council
Ashley Down was developed in Victorian times. A number of large detached villas were built on Ashley Down Road. Smaller terraced houses were built in the north of the district.
In 1845 George Müller
entered into a contract for the purchase of 7 acres (28,000 m²) of ground at £120 per acre (£0.03/m²) for the accommodation, feeding, clothing and education of 300 destitute and orphan children. On 18 June 1849 the orphans transferred to the new building, designed by local architect Thomas Foster
. By the time he died in 1898, Müller had received £1,500,000 through prayer and had over 10,000 children in his care.
The orphanage continued on the Ashley Down site until 1958. Orphan Houses 2, 4 and 5 are now owned by Bristol City College, while No 3 House (in which Müller lived for the last few years of his life and in which he died), on the other side of Ashley Down Road was converted into private flats in 2007. No 1 House is currently (2010) being redeveloped as flats.
In 1958 the buildings became Bristol College of Science and Technology (more recently changed to City of Bristol College
Campus). The site has been used as the film set for the BBC