The Austrian autobahns
() are controlled-access highways
. They are officially called Bundesstraßen A
according to the Austrian federal
road act (Bundesstraßengesetz
). The Austrian Autobahn network has a total length of as of 2007.
The first autobahn in Austria was the West Autobahn
. Building started immediately after the Austrian Anschluss
in 1938 on order of Adolf Hitler
as extension of the German Reichsautobahn Strecke 26
(the present-day Bundesautobahn 8
). However, only including the branch-off of the planned Tauern Autobahn
had been finished on 13 September 1941. Construction works discontinued the next year due to World War II
. After the war delaying resistance by the Soviet occupation forces
as well as claims raised by West Germany
to the former Reichsautobahn
assets obstructed the resumption until 1954.
Austria currently has 18 autobahns, since 1982 built and maintained by the self-financed ASFiNAG stock company in Vienna
, which is is wholly owned by the Austrian republic and earns revenue from road-user charges and tolls. Each route bears a number as well as an official name with local reference, which however is not displayed on road signs. Unusually for European countries, interchanges
(between motorways called Knoten
, "knots") are numbered by distance in kilometres starting from where the route begins; this arrangement is also used in the Czech......