Böbingen an der Rems
is a municipality
in the German
state of Baden-Württemberg
, in Ostalbkreis
district. It lies on the river Rems
The Roman Limes
passes through Böbingen, and the historical name of the locality "Bürgle"
(= small castle) indicates that the presence of a Roman fort in Unterböbingen had never been forgotten. In 1885/86 first archeological excavations were conducted by the retired Chief of Staff of the Württemberg Army, Major-General Eduard von Kallee
. Based on military strategic considerations he identified Unterböbingen as a Roman castrum
. In 1892 Major Heinrich Steimle examined this in more detail by excavations on behalf of the Empire-Limes-Commission. The Roman military thermal bath, which was also open to the civilian inhabitants of the village was placed outside of the fort and excavated in 1978 north of the fort on a high terrace on the ridge above Remstal.
The fort and surrounding remains of the Unterböbingen castrum are since 2005 part of the UNESCO World Heritage
, as they are a section of the Upper-Rhaetian Limes.
Alamannic settlements and first written reference
Many historical artefacts have been found in excavations, such as Alemannic
graves. These and the old Michael Church in Oberböbingen are references to subsequent settlements, after the Romans had given up this military out-post. The first written reference about the municipality Böbingen is from 1281. In a document of 30 November 1291 is mentioned that... Read More