was a chain of department stores
based in Louisville, Kentucky
Jeremiah Bacon opened a store called Bacon's Dry Goods in 1845 on Market Street near Hancock Street. In 1876 he moved into a structure four times larger than the original. In 1901, Bacon's opened a location on Fourth and Market streets that became its flagship store. The new building had entrances on each street and featured a distinctive spiraling atrium. The store remained open until September 6, 1972, when it closed to make way for the Kentucky International Convention Center
In 1903, Bacon's sons sold the store to H.B. Clafin who then sold it to Ohio-based Mercantile Stores
in 1914. Bacon's opened a suburban location in St. Matthews
in 1954; locations followed in Shively
in 1956 and Bashford Manor Mall
in 1972. In 1960, Bacon's opened a store in Jeffersonville, Indiana
, but it closed in 1972. Bacon's reentered the Southern Indiana
market with a store in the Youngstown Shopping Center in Jeffersonville, which moved in 1990 to River Falls Mall
. The chain added a location in Owensboro, Kentucky
In 1982, Bacon's revived its Downtown Louisville
presence with a store in the Louisville Galleria (later renamed Fourth Street Live!
). The downtown store closed in 2003. In 1988, it opened a location in Mall St.......