Ballarat railway station
is a railway station
serving the city of Ballarat
The station is located on the Ballarat line
and serves both freight and passenger functions.
Passenger services originating and terminating at Wendouree
also pass through the station on the journey to or from Melbourne
The railway station buildings are of major architectural and historical significance to Ballarat and Victoria and many of the historic features including the mechanical swing gates and signal boxes have been preserved. It is one of only three in Victoria to have had a 19th century train shed
(along with Geelong
and St Kilda
Construction on Ballarat West Railway Station
began in 1862 with the original buildings constructed at a cost of almost 22,000 pounds with the original railway line to Melbourne going via Geelong
to service the booming Ballarat goldfields.
A bluestone engine shed was built to the south and the goods shed
to the north were added in 1863. In 1877 the footbridge
and waiting rooms
on the south side were added,.
Age of Greatness
Following the opening of the direct line from Ballarat to Melbourne was established in December 1889 and increase in patronage led to plans to upgrade the station. A grand portico
, stationmasters office and clocktower were added in 1891 however the clock was not added at this time.
With the closure of... Read More