Balm bei Messen
was a municipality
in the district of Bucheggberg
in the canton
. On 1 January 2010 the municipalities of Balm bei Messen, Brunnenthal
merged into the municipality of Messen
Balm bei Messen is first mentioned in 1254 as de Balmo
. In 1275 it was mentioned as in Balm
Balm bei Messen has an area, , of . Of this area, or 59.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while or 32.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, or 7.3% is settled (buildings or roads).
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 4.1% and transportation infrastructure made up 3.2%. Out of the forested land, 30.7% of the total land area is heavily forested and 1.4% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 54.1% is used for growing crops and 5.5% is pastures.
The village is located in the Bucheggberg district, in the Limpach
along the southern slope of the Bucheggberg. It consists of the haufendorf
village (an irregular, unplanned and quite closely packed village, built around a central square) of Balm bei Messen.
Coat of arms
of the municipal coat of arms
is Argent a Holly Branch Vert in bend sinister over a Mount of 3 Coupeaux of the same.
Balm bei... Read More