is a co-educational independent school in Woodford Green
. The school has around 1000 pupils aged between 7 and 18. The Preparatory School has 200 pupils and the Senior School has 800.
The school was founded in 1737, following the death of its founder Francis Bancroft, who left a sizeable sum of money to the Drapers' Company
, which continues to act as trustee for the school. Bancroft's began in the Mile End Road
in London's East End
as a small charitable day school for boys, with an attached almshouse for 24 elderly gentlemen, and over the next 250 years it evolved steadily to its present form.
The foundation was originally known as Bancroft's Hospital and until the late 19th century also acted as home for the almsmen. The school then moved to a new site at Woodford Green and the original buildings were demolished; the site is now occupied by Queen Mary College
, one of the colleges of the University of London
.The new school in Woodford Green occupies four and a half acres, and the main buildings were designed by Arthur Blomfield
, who was also responsible for Selwyn College
in Cambridge. Originally there were just a hundred pupils, including sixty boarders, but the numbers grew steadily during the twentieth century until there were nearly one thousand on the roll. The buildings were also extended, with the Science Block (1910), a new Assembly Hall (1937), the Adams Building (1964), a new Gymnasium... Read More