Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School
Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School (Bangla:<big> বারাসাত প্যারীচরণ সরকার রাষ্ট্রীয় উচ্চ বিদ্যালয়</big>) in Barasat (a suburb of Kolkata in the state of West Bengal, India) is a boys school. The school was established in 1846 by the efforts of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar and Peary Charan Sarkar, and others. The original and most popular name of the school was Barasat Government High School. Its students are now spread throughout the world.
The school was started at a site not far from the present location. However, to accommodate the increasing number of students, a permanent building was built. The original building still exists but has been condemned since the early 1990s. The official name of the school was changed from Barasat Government High School to Barasat Peary Charan Sarkar Government High School in 1996, in the honour of Peary Charan Sarkar who established the school.
The school has the following buildings:
The historic old building, built in the 1850s, and condemned since the early 1990s.
The North wing is a stretch of about five large classrooms and two small rooms.
The southward double-storeyed main building, along with the annexe built almost 30 years ago, houses the office of the headmaster, the laboratories, and several classrooms. A bust of the Peary Charan Sarkar, the founder of the school, welcomes the visitors at the......