Construction of the church was first mooted by the Paris City Council on February 16, 1827. It was designed by architect F. C. Gau of Cologne in a neo-Gothic style. Work began in 1846, but Gau died in 1853, and the job was continued by Théodore Ballu who completed the church in 1857. It was opened on 30 November 1857 by Cardinal Morlot. The church was declared a minor basilica by Pope Leo XIII in 1896.
The Pipe Organ
St. Clotilde is known for its Aristide Cavaillé-Coll organ (although it is no longer in original condition) and the succession of famous composers who have been Organiste Titulaire: