The Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple
is the 94th operating temple
of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The first Mormon missionaries
arrived in Louisiana
in 1841. A few joined the Church, and most left Louisiana to be with the rest of the body of the Church. New Orleans
was the port of entry to the United States
for most of the early British converts of the Church. Between 1840 and 1855 around 18,500 members crossed the ocean to the U.S. and 17,600 of them first arrived in New Orleans. Because of this most of the Church members in New Orleans were either emigrants who could not yet afford to go further or Church agents who helped the emigrants continue their journey. After 1855 when the last of the emigrants left New Orleans the Church no longer had a presence in the Louisiana. In 1895 Mormon missionaries were sent again to the state and today there are more than 24,000 members in Louisiana.
The First Presidency of the LDS Church announced on October 14, 1998 that a temple would be built in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
and a groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication were held on May 8, 1999. The temple site is , which includes a meetinghouse.
The Mormon temple was open to the public for tours July 1 through the 8th 2000. The temple is , has two ordinance rooms, two sealing rooms, a baptismal font, Celestial room, and other facilities necessary to carry out its purpose. The temple exterior is made from Imperial Danby White marble quarried in Vermont
, and the... Read More